This lab intensive course focuses on the initial installation and startup tasks required to bring a customer’s rack or tower based server solution online and prepare it for the deployment of applications. The course delivers technical information necessary to successfully configure server and storage components and deploy operating systems. Deployment and management will be done using HP management software including HP OneView and HP Insight Control server provisioning. Course also covers basic virtualization topics.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Identify and describe fundamentals technologies used in HP ProLiant Gen9 rack and tower servers
- Perform basic configuration and deployment tasks using iLO Management Engine and other tools
- Configure HP ProLiant server using UEFI and other configuration tools
- Configure HP ProLiant servers for virtualization and deploy virtualization environment
- Configure an iSCSI storage solution Configure external storage solution for boot from SAN
- Deploy an operating system using Insight Control server provisioning
- Use HP OneView to manage HP ProLiant server
- Perform basic maintenance and diagnostic on an HP ProLiant server including firmware management
- Portfolio introduction – Gen 9 features and technologies
- iLO Management Engine – introduction of iLO Management Engine and iLO4 functionalities: HP Intelligent Provisioning, Agentless Management, Active Health System and Insight Remote Support
- HP ProLiant Server Configuration – introduction to ProLiant server bios: RBSU/UEFI, SA, ORCA
- Virtualization basics – introduction to ESXi and Hyper-V environment.
- Storage Solutions for HP ProLiant Servers – introduction to HP storage products: 3PAR StoreServ and StoreVirtual. Basic SAN conceptions, terminology and configuration examples.
- HP ProLiant Servers Advanced Management – Concepts of servers management with HP management products: ICsp and HP OneView.
- HP ProLiant Server Diagnostic and Firmware Management– diagnostic features of Intelligent Provisioning and HP Insight Diagnostic. Firmware and software management using HP Smart Update Solution
Using HP integrated Lights-Out 4
- Accessing and using iLO card graphical and command line interface.
- Using iLO for user management and firmware update.
- Updating Intelligent Provisioning using recovery media.
- Using RIBCL scripts and creating iLO Federation group.
Configuring HP ProLiant Gen9 server using UEFI
- Using UEFI to configure ProLiant server, verify settings and explore different configuration options.
- Using UEFI shell.
Installing an Operating System using HP Intelligent Provisioning
- Erasing and configuring ProLiant server using HP Intelligent Provisioning.
- Installing VMware ESXi 6.0 using HP Intelligent Provisioning
- Installation of VMware vCenter Server appliance.
- Configuring vCenter Server appliance and collecting storage information.
- Creating a virtual machines and installing operating system. Configuring HP Storage Solution
- Installing Storage Management Console Server
- Adding and configuring 3PAR StoreServ
- Managing common provisioning groups, hosts and volumes.
- Creating VMFS datastore for ESX using external storage
Managing HP ProLiant Server and Storage with HP OneView
- Deploying and configuring HP OneView
- Updating HP OneView appliance
- Using HP OneView to manage 3PAR array
- Creating server profiles
- Managing server environment using HP OneView
Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 using ICsp
- Deploying operating system using ICsp OS build plans
- Presenting external volume with MPIO support
Configuring HP StoreVirtual VSA
- Installing Hyper-V
- Installing and configuring HP StoreVirtual VSA storage solution
- Configuring and presenting external volume using iSCSI protocol
Deploying RHEL 7.0 in a boot from SAN configuration
- Configuring external volume on 3PAR
- Preparing server for boot from SAN
- Deploying RedHat using ICsp
- Presenting additional external volume with MPIO support
Maintenance and Diagnostic of HP ProLiant Server
- Performing offline and online diagnostic of ProLiant server
- Downloading AHS log
- Performing remote firmware and software update on servers running Windows and Linux operating systems
- Managing firmware and software baseline
This course is open to all audiences, internal and external, who are pursuing the knowledge and skills necessary to properly setup, configure and deploy solutions based on HP’s rack or tower families of products.
Students taking this course should have a basic understanding of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- VMWare ESXi 6.0