This course will provide you with the fundamental skills and concepts required to maintain, support, and work efficiently with personal computers.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to safely set up a basic workstation, including installing basic hardware and software and establishing basic network connectivity; identify and correct compatibility issues; identify and prevent basic security risks; and practice basic support techniques on computing devices.
- Identify hardware commonly found in or attached to computing devices.
- Identify software commonly installed on computing devices.
- Set up a basic workstation.
- Configure network access.
- Work with files, folders, and applications.
- Configure and use wireless devices.
- Secure computing devices.
- Support computers and users.
LESSON 1 – IDENTIFYING COMPUTER HARDWARE
- Identify Types of Computing Devices
- Identify Internal Computer Components
- Common Computer Connector Types
- Identify Common Peripheral Devices
LESSON 2 – IDENTIFYING COMPUTER SOFTWARE
- Compare Functions and Features of Common Operating Systems
- Identify Application Software
LESSON 3 – SETTING UP A BASIC WORKSTATION
- Connect Hardware
- Install and Configure Operating Systems
- Install and Configure Applications
- Configure Accessibility Options
LESSON 4 – CONFIGURING NETWORK ACCESS
- Network Connection Types
- Install and Configure a SOHO Router
- Network and Alternative Technologies
- Sharing and Storage Methods
LESSON 5 – WORKING WITH FILES, FOLDERS, AND APPLICATIONS
- Create Files
- Navigate a File Structure
- Manage Files and Folders
- Compress and Extract Files
- Create Screen Captures
LESSON 6 – CONFIGURING AND USING WIRELESS DEVICES
- Configure Wireless Devices
- Use Wireless Devices
LESSON 7 – SECURING COMPUTING DEVICES
- Identify Security Threats
- Apply Security Best Practices
- Perform Secure Web Browsing
LESSON 8 – SUPPORTING COMPUTERS AND USERS
- Environmental and Safety Concepts
- Back Up and Restore Data
- Manage Software
- Implement Basic Support Measures
This course is designed for individuals who are considering a career in information technology (IT) and who might be planning to pursue CompTIA IT Fundamentals certification, CompTIA A+™ certification, or other similar certifications.